Saturday, November 20, 2010

The Last Airbender

This is one of those movies you might be tempted to rent, figuring, "how bad could it be?" Anyway, that's what I asked myself when I rented it. I rarely agree with the critics. I liked League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, I think Vin Diesel is a good actor, and I laughed my ass off at Little Man. But boy was this bad.

How bad could it be? Maybe the worst big budget Hollywood movie I've ever seen. It was just dreadful. I mean, the first hour was, which was all I watched because I had better things to do. Maybe the ending was amazing. Maybe Shayamalan's big twist was that the movie stopped being a huge piece of shit right at the end. If so, my bad. But I tend to doubt it, since it was all so bad. It seemed like the possibilities were there, since the mythology presented was kind of neat and some of the visuals and special effects were well done and quite striking, but the story sucked and the acting was awful. And as cute as that little kid was, the idea of watching him knock people over with his wind blasts (or whatever) just never looked cool.

Oh, and if you are going to have a big villain in your movie who's supposed to be scary and evil, don't get one of the corespondents from the Daily Show.

Bad movie.

2 comments:

Justin Garrett Blum said...

I'm too lazy to find out: which correspondent?

Critics really savaged this film. I wondered if it really could have been that bad.

Poor Shamalama-ding-dong. He keeps getting worse and worse.

Donald said...

Aasif Mandvi.

And it was bad. You know me... you know I'm open-minded about this sort of thing. There's nothing I love more than a big, dumb action movie. But this was bad.