Thursday, July 1, 2010

Year One

I watched this movie because it was free and because it was my day off and because I had nothing better to do. That isn't to say I had nothing better to do than Year One, but that I had nothing better to do than watch a free movie from the Netflix instant viewing catalog, and this was the one I chose. And I watched the entire thing, which isn't a rave review that will make the cover of the DVD, but there you.

"I actually watched the entire movie!"
 -- Donald W. Pfeffer, 
 Blessed Are the Geeks Blog

Boy, the critics sure took a huge shit all over this movie, and it totally bombed at the box office, but I liked it. It was cute and clever and pretty funny. It was also gross, offensive, and stupid, but that's fine with me. It wasn't somebody's doctoral thesis, it was a stupid comedy starring Jack Black. And, anyway, fart and poop jokes are funny.

No, it won't go on my list of the all time funniest movies ever made, but it was certainly funny and it made me laugh enough that I watched the entire thing and have no regrets. Honestly, if you can sit though this movie and no smile or laugh, you have no sense of humor at all. I mean, just look at this cast: Jack Black, Michael Cera, Harold Ramis, Oliver Platt, Paul Rudd, David Cross, Hank Azaria, Vinnie Jones, etc. I've never been a huge fan of Jack Black and Michael Cera, but they had great chemistry and managed to carry this movie with their charm and wit. But best of all were Paul Rudd and David Cross as Cain and Abel. Just watch this scene where Cain kills Abel and try not to laugh:



That's funny stuff. Anyway, I'm not recommending you watch this movie or anything, just that you shouldn't avoid it if you have nothing else to do and the opportunity to view it presents itself. It was funny.

1 comment:

Justin Garrett Blum said...

Speaking of funny movies that were shit on, I watched Yes Man a little while back on one of the movie channels. I thought it was pretty decent. If you just want to laugh, you could do a lot worse.