Friday, July 9, 2010

Emmy Nominations

Like most people, I have very little interest in the Emmy Awards. I don't watch a whole lot of TV, and what I do watch is more often than not either online or when an entire season finally comes out on DVD. Also, the Emmy ceremonies are just boring. Sure, the Oscars are boring too, and just as forced and pointless and pretentious, but at least there are new movies every time, while the same shows keep getting Emmy nominations year after year. If you watch only one or two Emmy ceremonies per decade, you won't miss a whole lot.

So I don't care about the Emmys and I almost never watch, instead opting to look for any notable speeches on youtube if somebody I like won something. But the latest Emmy nominations were just announced, and since I have a blog, I may as well share my interior monologue and (brief) thoughts with you:




BEST ACTOR IN A COMEDY SERIES
Jim Parsons, The Big Bang Theory
Larry David, Curb Your Enthusiasm
Matthew Morrison, Glee
Tony Shaloub, Monk
Steve Carell, The Office
Alec Baldwin, 30 Rock


What's interesting about this is that Monk and Curb Your Enthusiasm are still on the air. Who knew? And while I haven't watched Curb in years, even the biggest fans of that show would have to admit that Larry David isn't exactly a great actor. Personally, I find him and his show to be insufferable, but that's just me. Also, I would be remiss in my duties as a Geek blogger in not mentioning The Big Bang theory guy's nomination, considering how popular that show is among nerds and sci-fi fans... for some reason, because it's even more annoying and unfunny than Curb Your Enthusiasm. I don't get the appeal of that show at all.


BEST ACTRESS IN A COMEDY SERIES
Lea Michele, Glee
Julia Louis-Dreyfus, The New Adventures of Old Christine
Edie Falco, Nurse Jackie
Amy Poehler, Parks and Recreation
Tina Fey, 30 Rock
Toni Collette, United States of Tara



Now, I like Tina Fey, and I like 30 Rock, but does anybody think she's really acting? That role doesn't call for a lot of range. It's basically just Tina Fey. And that's fine, since she's a good Tina Fey, but does she really deliver a performance worthy of an award? Do most people really think that show wouldn't be a whole lot funnier with a whole lot funnier, more charismatic actress in that role? Or is it just me? Anyway, this entire award is pointless anyway, because everybody knows women aren't funny anyway.


BEST DRAMA SERIES
True Blood
Dexter
Mad Men
The Good Wife
Breaking Bad
Lost


Lost has never won an Emmy for best drama series, and this would be its last chance. I find it hard to believe it can lose after this long.


BEST ACTOR IN A DRAMA SERIES
Jon Hamm, Mad Men
Kyle Chandler, Friday Night Lights
Hugh Laurie, House
Michael C. Hall, Dexter
Bryan Cranston, Breaking Bad
Matthew Fox, Lost


Would you believe this is Matthew Fox's first Emmy nomination for Lost? About time. My boy deserves to win! And enough with the nominations for Hugh Laurie, a fabulously talented man, just not on House, in my opinion. If Fox loses, I'd like to see Cranston win. I've never seen his show, but I think he's a cool actor.


SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A DRAMA SERIES
John Slattery, Mad Men
Aaron Paul, Breaking Bad
Martin Short, Damages
Terry O’Quinn, Lost
Andre Braugher, Men of a Certain Age
Michael Emerson, Lost


In case you haven't noticed, all I really care about is Lost. That's pretty much the only real show I watched on TV this past year. Anyway, I think this award should go to Terry O'Quinn, who has already won for playing John Locke on Lost, but this season he was as outstanding as ever. And while I love Michael Emerson (who has also already won for Lost), this season wasn't all that great for him. I'm not commenting on his acting, which was as flawless as ever, but that his screen time was pretty limited this season and his character had very little to do. Emerson, a great actor, was mostly wasted. I think Nestor Carbonell should've been nominated, or maybe even Josh Holloway, considering how great they were over the course of the entire season and this is the last chance to honor that.


REALITY COMPETITION PROGRAM
American Idol
Dancing with the Stars
The Amazing Race
Project Runway
Top Chef



This was the worst season yet of American Idol, which has been getting nearly unwatchable over the past few seasons. I don't even remember the name of the guy who won. I just remember that he sucked. 


REALITY SERIES
Antiques Roadshow
MythBusters
Undercover Boss
Kathy Griffin: My Life on the D-List
Dirty Jobs
Jamie Oliver’s Food Revolution


Here's the last thing I'll say: I hate Kathy Griffin.  She flatters herself by claiming to be on the D List.

1 comment:

Anna said...

1. **FEW** women are funny, i'll agree on that.

2. didn't anyone else LAUGH when they saw true blood listed among those other shows? PLEASE, a drama? put it under BEST-SEX-SHOW-WITH-HORRID-SOUTHERN-ACCENTS (comedy) category.

3. cranston may win. I'm excited for Fox, but in terms of acting, I think Walter WHite really did a more impressive job. And YOU, DONALD should watch breaking bad immediately.