Thursday, November 8, 2012

The Day After the Day After

Does anybody care about my thoughts on the election? Probably not, but then again, nobody cared about my thoughts on Shark Attack 3: Megalodon, but that didn't stop me either.

Anyway, I'm glad that the better man won. Now, I didn't say the best man, just the better man, at least of the two, and by such a wide margin that I can't believe it was ever so close. But it was never really as close as the media would've had us believe. Even on election night I constantly checked between the main networks, CNN, Fox News, and my local Public Television station, and every one of them showed different electoral totals, and I'm not exaggerating. Of course this was because each station was being selective in their predictions, calling some state for whomever they wanted in order to keep up whatever narrative they were going for.  When I finally got annoyed -- disgusted? -- and went to bed, Fox News had Obama and Romney tied at 153, while NBC had Obama well over 200, and one other station had Romney in the lead.

So if we take anything from this entire election season, it's the utter failure by the media to act responsibly and report the truth without filtering it through the narrative that makes the best story. But that's just me.

But my guy won, and the proposed amendment in my state of Minnesota to change the state constitution to define marriage as a union between only a man and a woman was defeated by a wide enough margin that there is still hope that we are actually progressing as a civilization. Of course, there's probably another blogger somewhere pointing to those results as proof of our imminent doom as a society, but that blogger is an idiot.

INTERJECTION: The woman sitting next to me (I'm at a coffee shop, because that's where people write blog posts, right?) just looked up from her newspaper and exclaimed to me that over $6 billion dollars was spent on this election. I said that's a lot of money, and she said it sure is.

I have nothing else to say. Now I know why nobody cares about my thoughts on politics.

2 comments:

Justin Garrett Blum said...

The amount of money spent was ridiculous. I don't know if it was $6 billion, but I could believe it. I heard on the radio yesterday that the Obama campaign spent around a billion, and I think the Romney campaign probably spent about as much, but the superpacs supporting him spent ungodly sums of money.

Donald said...

Why marry the cow when you can get the milk for free? And why marry a horse when you get... the glue (?) for free?