Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Happy Birthday, George Takei!


The Blessed are the Geeks Blog would like to wish a happy and healthy birthday to one of our all time favorite actors George Takei. Takei is probably best know for his role as Hikaru Sulu on the original Star Trek TV series and films, but he has been in hundreds of other productions and devoted much of his life to humanitarian efforts fighting for equal rights for everybody. He played a hero on TV and in the movies, but he is also one in real life. There aren't many people about whom you can say that and have it still feel like an understatement.

Happy birthday, George!

4 comments:

Justin Garrett Blum said...

I love this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVszHLWHLo0&playnext=1&list=PLDB3E905A5A5FC11B

Naomi said...

A belated happy, happy birthday to George Takei! George Takei, and Nichelle Nichols, are my absolute favorite celebrities whom I've had the pleasure to meet in person.

I met Mr. Takei in San Francisco in the late '70s, at a science fiction convention. I left an event at the convention early, and walked out of the ballroom to see a man sitting at a table in the otherwise empty walkway. It took a moment to register that the man at the table was George Takei. There! In front of me! I approached Mr. Takei in total fan girl mode. Rather than call security on my babbling ass, Mr. Takei was so kind and gracious. He shook my hand, signed two photos - one for me, and one for a friend a mine who couldn't attend the convention, and just chatted. I love me some George Takei.

Happy, happy birthday, with wishes for continued health, wealth, and love.

Donald said...

Great story! Thanks for sharing.

Naomi said...

My pleasure!

I have many ... well, some ... okay, five memorable, stories about meeting folks from science fiction movies, and series. :-)