Friday, October 22, 2010

Dave Stevens's The Rocketeer: The Complete Collection

The Rocketeer was created by comic book creator Dave Stevens in 1982. It originally appeared as a back up story in a comic book published by Pacific Comics, but it jumped from company to company, appearing regularly albeit erratically. It was turned into a major Hollywood film in 1991, which still stands as one of the best comic book movies of all time. Stevens died in 2008. IDW recently published the complete series in a prestige, hardcover collection.

Now, I didn't know most of that before I saw the book on my local library's comic shelf last week. I've been a big fan of the film even since I first saw it in the theaters, but I had never read an issue of the comic book until just I checked out this book. Honestly, I didn't realize the character premiered in the 80s. Stevens created such a brilliant homage to the comics and movie serials of the 30s and 40s that I always assumed that was when the first Rocketeer comics came out.

I don't have a whole lot to say about this comics other than that they are really, really good. The artwork is beautiful and the stories are great fun. I think the film told the origin story a little better, but only because they had two hours to let it unfold while the first story only had a page or two. Once the origin gets out of the way and the Rocketeer takes flight, the fun never lets up. The art by Stevens is wonderful and perfectly reminiscent of comics from the 40s, only with updated colors and a slightly more modern style.

Anyway, check it out if you are a fan of comics or of the Rocketeer film. Or, really, if you just love great stories and beautiful artwork.

2 comments:

Justin Garrett Blum said...

Hmm...I should check the library for this. Looks cool, and you know I love the movie.

Donald said...

The Rocketeer film was one of those rare instances where the adaptation was better than the comic. The comic is fantastic, of course, but the movie was just perfect and condensed the storyline into a really great plot.

But I recommend it.