Monday, January 9, 2012

If I Were a Rich Man

Let's have some fun. I love Me some Fiddler on the Roof, be it the movie, the Broadway show, or just listening to the music from the soundtrack as performed by... whomever. Anyway, here are a bunch of performances by whomever of If I Were a Rich Man, maybe the most fun song from the production. Why? Why not?

Here is the great Zero Mostel, who originated the role of Tevye on Broadway. This isn't from Broadway, but from the Tony Awards. Anyway, it's great:





Here is Topol, from the motion picture version of Fiddler On the Roof. For my money, it doesn't get any better than this:





This isn't the full song, and I don't know who it is, but he's pretty damn good:



Sammy Davis Jr probably woulnd't be anybody's first choice to play Tevye, but he knocks it out of the park here. I love it:



Opera singer Robert Merill. This is pretty great:



But what does it sound like in Japanese?



Leonard Nimoy performing just a little bit at a convention. This isn't nearly long enough:



Who's Grandpa Elliot? Whoever he is, he can sing:



The Temptations. Who knew?



And then, of course, there's Gwen Stefani:

4 comments:

Justin Garrett Blum said...

Okay, that version by the Temptations is awesome. I love it.

Also, I'm not going to lie: I like that Gwen Stefani track.

Mugato said...

I like them all, but I agree that Temptations version is awesome

Mugato said...

Also, if I were a rich man I would build an android ... oh never mind

Donald said...

The Temptations one takes a long time to get going, but once it does, it's great. The picture is really weird though. There's actually a live performance with video footage of the band on youtube, but it's one of those videos with the embedding feature turned off.

And I also like the Stefani track! It's certainly the only video I posted with any pretty girls, so that's a plus too.