Monday, December 20, 2010

Christmarathon Day 20: Ernest Saves Christmas


I don't care what anybody says, Ernest Saves Christmas is a damn good movie. In fact, all of the Ernest movies are great. Well, some of them are great, anyway. But they're all watchable and a lot of fun. Ernest Goes to Jail is my all time favorite in the series, but this one is a close second, and it's certainly one of my all time favorite Christmas movies. And, as I said, I don't care what anybody else says.

Ernest gets no respect. I don't just mean in his movies, where all of the characters hold him in contempt and treat him as though he's a complete moron who destroys everything he touches (and, on this matter, they're right), but moviegoers seem to feel the same way. Can anybody tell me why everybody loves Pee Wee Herman and thinks that his TV shows and movies are works of genius, but everybody hates Ernest? They're the same damn character, only Jim Varney is funnier and more talented than Paul Reubens. That isn't to say anything negative about Paul Reubens, since I think he's very talented, but Jim Varney is amazing. If there was any justice in this world, Jim Varney would've been heralded as a comedy genius before he died of cancer a few years ago. Know wad I mean?

But we were talking about Ernest Saves Christmas, which is as great a showcase for Varney's talents as any other movie he's ever been in. The story is about... You know what? I'll let Ernest tell you all about that:



That about sums it up right there. Did you think that was funny? Then go rent Ernest Saves Christmas, because it's awesome. Did you think that clip was awful? Well, pardon my french, but get the hell off my blog!

The last thing I'll say about this movie is how I remember having a huge crush on the main girl back when it first came out. I thought she was a total hottie, and I used to watch this movie over and over for her as much as for the comedy stylings of Ernest P. Worell. Rewatching it as an adult, I definitely enjoyed the comedy more than I did the girl. And I'm not just saying that because I'm an adult and she's a kid, since she was actually a twenty-something year old woman playing a teenage kid. I'm saying that because she was so friggin' annoying and unlikable. She was basically the Jar Jar Binks of Ernest Saves Christmas.

But it's still an awesome movie. Two thumbs up!

1 comment:

Anna said...

holy crap. genius. i'm so glad we agree on this. my bro and i also used to watch it over and over. . . favorite parts were his pitching the christmas tree into the cab and busting the window out on the other side and then the faces he makes at vern's house, i think it was party punch? the same reaction/expression when he sees an overflowed toilet, i think in ernest goes to camp?
HARMONY STAR.
i need to see this again, now.